This is a potato stuffed flat bread. This recipe adds complexity and extra flavor. The ingredients and procedure are the same as the plain paratha plus a few extras for the filling.
- Mix flour and water into a dough and knead well then stand for about 15 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, peel the potatoes and mash coarsely. Mix in spices, onion, ginger and season.
- Form a ball of dough about half the size of a tennis ball. Make a hole in the middle and spoon in a generous helping of the filling - about 1 Tbs.
- Roll the stuffed dough into a circle about 3 inch (6-8 cm) wide across.
- Heat ghee on a skillet, cook the rolled dough until it browns on the top and turn over. Brush the top with ghee or butter while the other side cooks with no butter.
- Repeat until all the dough is finished.
The microwave is an alternative method to cook the potatoes. Prick their skins first and cook until tender.
Ad seasoning and spices to your taste to the mashed potato. The best way is to measure visually. Place all spices and seasoning on a small plate so you see how much of each you are adding then tip into the mashed potato. This way it will be easy to change amounts if the bread did not come out quite to your liking.
Serve this stuffed paratha still warm with plain yogurt.
Try other stuffing such as mashed cooked cauliflower. Stuffed parathas make a great picnic food.