As the early settlers did, you could get more than one dinner from a batch of baked beans. Freeze any surplus beans in small containers for other times when you are squeezed for time. You could easily double the quantities and freeze half of it the same way.
Soak the beans overnight in cold water –or for 8 hours, minimum, to 12 hours maximum. When you are ready to cook, drain and rinse the beans., discarding the water.
The oven method
- Boil the beans in water with 1/2 tsp baking soda, until the skins starts to crack. It should take about 25-30 minutes if done in a pressure cooker, about 60-90, if using a normal pot.
- Put the onion quarters at the bottom of a bean pot or casserole pan. Add the boiled beans. Put the bacon on top of the beans. Mix molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper with ¾ cup of water and pour over the beans.
- Bake a 300° F (150° C) for 6 hours. Add more boiling water if necessary.
The slow cooker method
- Put the onion quarters at the bottom of the slow cooker pot; add beans, then the bacon on top.
- Mix molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper with 1 cup of water and pour over the beans.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.
The pressure cooker only method
- Add all ingredients except the beans to the pressure cooker and stir thoroughly. Then add the beans. Bring to a boil, then stir and lock the lid in place and bring to pressure.
- Lower heat and cook for 40 minutes at 15 psi. Release pressure using the quick release method or auto release and remove lid.
- If you wish, simmer uncovered for a few minutes to reduce liquid.
- To prepare baked beans the Maine way, skip the ketchup and add ¼ cup more water.
- Add 1/4 tsp cumin and a pinch of chili powder for a South Western flavor.
- For vegetarian baked beans, just skip the salt pork.
- Prepare gourmet baked beans by adding different flavors: a few cloves of garlic, ½ tsp ginger, a good splash Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, all together, any mixture of them, or add your flavors.
Quick baked beans
2 Tbs cooking oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cans of beans -16 oz (450 g) each)- drained and rinsed under running water
1/3 cup ketchup
3 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs molasses
1 Tbs mustard.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Sauté the onion in the oil for 4-5 minutes, until soft.
- Put beans, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, and mustard. Stir to mix.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.