Corn dogs are delicious hot dog sausages fried in a flour and cornmeal batter.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and pepper in a bowl. Stir in the cornmeal.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture, in small pieces, with a knife until the butterm becomes a bunch of flour coated balls, each one the size of a pea.
- Whisk the milk and the egg together and pour this liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until well blended and the mixture has the consistency of a thick batter.
- Sspread each hot dog with thebatter until it is evenly coated.
- Put the oil in a deep fry pan and heat over medium heat.
- Fry the hot dogs for 2-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Brown them on all sides.
- Remove the cooked hot dogs to the plate and allow them to rest 2-3 minutes.
- Insert a wooden skewer into one end of each hot dog. Serve with a bowl of mustard on the side.
Cut the butter or margarine into the flour mixture by rocking the knife back and forth until the mixture resembles small peas. You can also use a pastry blender. Stir the batter with a wooden spoon Remove hot dogs to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.