World of food and wine looks at a fascinating variety of customs and traditions in different countries across the globe, describing how the world cooks, eats, and drinks.
Danish rice pudding
This dessert appeals to the sight as much as taste. Prepare one single large rice pudding or individual portions.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff and reserve.
- Heat sugar, water, and salt to boiling point - in the microwave or a saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Add gelatin, stirring constantly until it is dissolved. Add milk, cooked rice, vanilla, and almonds and stir briefly to mix. Place the container in a bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes.
- Fold whipped cream into rice mixture. Pour into a mold, cover and chill until set, about 3 hours.
- Turn out and serve cold with warm raspberry sauce.
The milk and gelatin mixture will be ready to incorporate whipped cream when it forms a slight lump when dropped from a spoon.
To remove rice pudding from mold, place it briefly in a bowl of warm water - the edge will soften - then turn.
Serve chillde Danish rice pudding with warm raspberry sauce.
Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (6.2 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.