Deep dish pizza is the signature pizza from Chicago.
- In a small bowl, mix yeast wiht warm water.
- In a large bowl, shift flour and salt, and then add the yeast dissolved in warm water, and 2 1/2 tablspoons olive oil.Mix with a wooden spoon. The dough would form a ball.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth.
- Place dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise until it doubles, about 45-60 minutes.
- Punch the dough to remove air and roll to 1 inch thick.
- Place the dough in a deep dish pizza pan, dusted with flour, pushing it up over the sides.
Make the pizza
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Distribute shredded mozzarella over the dough - and distirbute any other ingredients on top or the shredded mozzarella.
- Spead sauce covering all cheese and toppings.
- Sprinkle dried oregano and basil, and grated Parmesan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes., or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove, sprinkle more oregano and basil - fresh, finely chopped - if you like.
- Cut and serve straight away.
If you want to sneak in some vegetbles, sauté 2 onions, thinly sliced, and 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced in olive oil and palce on top of the shredded mozzarella, before adding the sauce. For a more filling variation, pan fry 3/4 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, and add to the pizza together with the onions and bell peppers. Try sliced mushrooms, pepperoni slices, extra cheese, and any of the other toppings you would add to pizza.