World of food and wine looks at a fascinating variety of customs and traditions in different countries across the globe, describing how the world cooks, eats, and drinks.
Greek honey and cheese pie
This Greek cheese pie delectable, sweet way to finish a Greek feast when one does not fancy fresh fruit.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a pie pan by rubbing butter.
- Beat eggs lightly in a large mixing bowl.
- Add ricotta cheese, honey, cinnamon, flour, and lemon juice and beat until very smooth, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in pie mixture into the prepared pie pan.
- Bake on middle oven rack until the surface cracks and is puffed, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cinnamon. Let the pie stand until the pie cools to room temperature.
- Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Myzithra cheese is a sheep's milk cheese made from the whey from feta or kefalotyri.. Fresh Myzithra cheese is similar to cottage cheese. If you don't have it, substitute fresh Myzithra cheese with the same amount of feta (rinse to get rid of the saltiness) or manour cheese; and ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, Mexican queso fresco or Spanish reques??n will work well, if you cannot get Greek cheese.
If you like it tangy, add another tablespoon of lemon juice. 1-2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest would also add a milder tang,
A 9 inch pie pan would be enough for the standard recipe. If you double the recipe, or increase by any amount, use a pie pan of a suitable size.
Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (3.2 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.