A traditional South African delicacy brought to the region by the slaves.
32 ozcake flour
1 tbaking powder
2 1⁄2 ozbutter
30 ozwater (cold)
- Make a syrup from 30Oz sugar and 22Oz water.
- As the water is dissolving chuck in the cinnamon stick for flavour, then leave for a day to cool in the refrigerator.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl then cut in the butter.
- Add the eggs and remaining sugar until a soft dough emerges before refrigerating for half an hour.
- Remove the dough, roll to about 2 inches thickness and cut into oblongs 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
- Cut vertical slits into the dough without cutting through it and lightly cover with beaten egg.
- Heat oil in a pan ready for deep frying and place the prepared syrup next to it with another plate for drying/serving.
- Fry the koeksisters until golden brown then dip in syrup, then place on plate.
- Serve when all are done.