World of food and wine looks at a fascinating variety of customs and traditions in different countries across the globe, describing how the world cooks, eats, and drinks.
Roast turkey with fruit stuffing and bacon rolls
Traditional roast turkey requires stuffing, bacon rolls, turkey gravy, and roast potatoes. Serve with seasonal vegetables on the side. Bread sauce and sausages can be also part of a traditional Holiday turkey dinner.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat. Add orange segments, raisins, nuts, apple salt and nutmeg. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add broth and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Beat egg and add to the pan. Stir to mix well. Turn heat off and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes before stuffing the turkey
Preparing bacon rolls
Halve the bacon rashers, stretch them with the back of a knife. Place a date on one half bacon rasher and roll tightly. Hold together with a toothpick.
- Preheat oven to 425?? F (220?? C)
- Rinse turkey in and out. Wipe dry with kitchen towels.
- Stuff the bird, the neck cavity only. Be careful not to pack it too tight as the stuffing will expand. Fold over the neck and truss the turkey with the wings under and legs held together. Form small balls from the remaining stuffing.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan. Rub butter all over it and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil.
- Roast for 40 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325?? F (160 ?? C) and roast for a further 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Remove turkey from oven. Discard foil and baste. Tuck bacon rolls and stuffing balls around the turkey if there is room for it.
- Roast turkey for a further 30 minutes, until breast in brown. Test to see if the turkey is cooked; cook for longer if it was not done.
- Lift the turkey from the pan, tipping it slightly to allow juices to run into pan. Place onto a large serving dish, warmed, and cover with foil to keep it warm. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Garnish turkey with bacon rolls, stuffing balls and herbs -bay leaves or watercress, for instance.
Don't stuff the body cavity as it might prevent thorough cooking, put a small onion, quartered, a piece of lemon or orange, or some herbs, if you want more flavor.
Lining the roasting pan with foil will help to keep the pan clean.
Put the potatoes into the oven when you add the bacon rolls and stuffing.
Nutrition facts Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients for a 10 lb (5 kg) turkey. This is a very rough estimate to be used as guideline only.