Use simple white bread dough, or frozen or chilled dough.
Prepare the filling
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat. Cook onion for 2 minutes. Brown meat together with the onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage and cook until wilted. Check seasoning and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen, separate into balls - about 12 medium or 24 small. Roll each ball into 1/4" inch thick squares.
- Place filling in the middle of the square - about 1/2 cup - and seal by pressing opposite diagonal corners together.
- Place runza over a baking sheet lined with greased paper, seal side down. Cover with a clean cloth and let them rise for about 20 minutes.
- While runzas are rising, pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- Bake runzas for 20-25 minutes, until the crust has a golden brown color.
- Remove from oven. If you wan a soft crust, rub a little butter on top.
- Serve warm from the oven or allow to cool on a wire rack.
As an alternative, heat butter in another pan and cook the cabbage, in a little butter, and mix with mean once cooked. The dough can be allowed to rise for a second time, about 45 minutes, before shaping the runzas, and then let the runzas stand for only 15 minutes before baking.