Saffron is used to flavor food and to color it pale golden yellow. Turmeric is often suggested as a substitute for saffron. Although turmeric adds a similar pale yellow color, the flavor is completely different.
- Prepare fettuccine according to package instructions. Drain and keep warm.
- Brown pork in a large skillet, stirring constantly, then drain drain excess fat. Add chicken stock, lower heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch and cream. Add this mixture to the simmering pork a little at a time, stirring continuously. The sauce will soon - about 1-2 minutes - become thick and creamy.
- Turn heat to lower and add saffron, stirring until blended. Let the sauce simmer, uncovered, until ready to serve.
- Distribute pasta among 4 serving bowls. Ladle saffron sauce over noodles, top with cheese, and serve.