What to avoid in a milk and dairy free diet and suggested alternatives.
Following a dairy free diet is more common that we would think.
What to avoid
Always read the labels on packaged items.
- Cow's milk of any type, including whole, semi-skimmed, skimmed,dried, condensed, evaporated, etc. Goat's and Sheep's milk of any type, including whole, semi-skimmed, skimmed,dried, etc. Other dairy products: Butter, ghee, cream, cheese, , yoghurt
- Whey (a milk protein) - you may find it in muesli cereals like granola or cereal clusters, butter substitute spreads, cakes or biscuits, some brands of tomato ketchup.
- Caseinates (a milk protein) - you may find it in packet soups, dairy free coffee whitener, some sausages.
- Lactose (a milk sugar) - you may find it in cakes or biscuits, butter substitute spreads, some pre-packed sliced ham and chicken, some deli meats.
- Skimmed milk powder - sometimes it is used in some children's cereals, some deli meats, like sliced ham or chicken.
- Batter made with milk, pancakes, crepes, Yorkshire pudding, chocolate and cocoa products, custards, milk puddings
- Ice cream
- Foods fried in butter
- Malted milk, milkshakes, smoothies with a milk, ice cream, or yoghurt base
- Creamed sauces and soups, white sauce
- Ready-made pasta dishes - eg lasagne, pasta Alfredo, macaroni cheese
Choose organic products wherever possible
- Dairy-free coffee whitener (if not sensitive to caseinates and sugar)
- Soya milk, rice milk, oat milk, nut milk - you can find them in most grocery and health shops
- Coconut milk/cream
- Vegetable margarines (check no milk solids/skimmed milk/whey) - e.g.. Soya or olive oil margarine, from Health Food shops and some supermarkets
- Soya cheese, tofu (soya bean curd) - 9 varieties - Health Food Shops (some soya cheeses may contain sugar and yeast)
- Soya yoghurt
- Soya ice creams
- If milk cheese is not tolerated, use cheese substitutes
- Chocolate - Dairy-free, Carob
- Biscuits - many biscuits are milk-free, i.e. contain vegetable not animal fat, e.g. some digestives, fig bars
- Some Cereal Bars
- Some creamed biscuits (check for whey, lactose and caseinates, if sensitive)