A Spanish garlic and vinegar sauce to accompany grilled meat or fish. It can have many variations. It is worth to prepare a large batch as it keeps well.
- Place garlic and vinegar in the blender or food processor. Process until pureed.
- Add oil and blitz until mixed.
- Transfer sauce to a glass jar and allow to rest for a few days, about a week, shaking occasionally.
- Strain liquid as needed and use as sauce, dipping, or marinade for grilled meat and seafood.
Cider vinegar is often the preferred vinegar for this sauce. We like olive oil, but sunflower oil makes the mixture last longer.
The sauce just blended will look white - it is an emulsion - and the color will change as it sits.
Experiment by adding other condiments, herbs and spices to your mix. Use one, or a combination, of the follwing suggestions:
- Add to the blender - lime or lemon juice, white wine, chopped onion, parsley, salt, ground pepper.
- Add to the jar - chili, whole or sliced; peppercorns; a sprig of parsely, thymeñ whole bay leaves.