Ice cream for dessert makes the occasion festive. Ice cream is not difficult to make and you can experiment with ingredients, flavors and extras, like the almonds and raisins in this recipe.
- In a small saucepan, heat evaporated milk and vanilla essence; don't let it boil.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until very creamy.
- Pour warm milk, a little at a time, stirring continuously.
- Use a double boiler to heat up this egg and milk mixture until it thickens, but don't let it boil.
- Pour into a bowl - metal works best - and leave to cool.
- Pour the cream into your ice cream maker. It should take 30 to 45 minutes to be ready. Add raisins and almonds during the last 10 minutes.
Altenatively, to make ice cream without machine.
- Cover with foil and freeze for 45 minutes.
- Take the cream out of the freezer and whisk briskly to break the crystals. Cover and freeze again for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the freezer and whisk again. Add raisins and almonds and mix well. Cover and return to the freezer for other 30 minutes or until ready.