Pickled hot peppers, definitely a challenge for any palate.
1 lb chili pepper (Jalapeno chili peppers)
1⁄3 c olive oil
2 onion (white, medium size)
2 carrot (medium size, peeled and thickly sliced)
1 hd garlic (cloves separated but not peeled)
3 c vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
2 T salt (kosher or sea salt)
2 lf bay leaf
1⁄2 t oregano (dried, or 2 sprigs fresh)
1⁄4 t marjoram
1⁄4 t thyme (dried, or 2 sprigs fresh)
1 T sugar
- Wash the pepper, leaving the stems intact. Cut an X in the tip end of each pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add peppers, onions, carrots, and garlic, frying over a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes, turning them occasionally.
- Stir in the vinegar, salt, herbs, and sugar bringing to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Fill 6 half-pint sterilized canning jars with the peppers and vegetables. Top with the vinegar, leaving 1/2 inch head space, and seal.
- Once cool, store in refrigerator ONLY. Once opened, will keep for 1 month.