This is a tasty dip made from cooked aubergine, mashed and flavored with various seasonings. It is popular in Egypt and the Middle East. Baba ghanoush can appear as an Egyptian appetizer or as part of Lebanese mezze.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cook whole eggplant and onion in the oven for about 60 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven. Let them cool.
- Once cooled enough to be handled, peel and cut into chunks.
- Put cooked eggplant and onion in a food processor with the rest of ingredients and process until smooth. Season to your taste and serve.
This traditional dip can be served with crackers or a flat bread such as pita bread -plain or toasted- as an appetizer, snack, or part of a meal.