This is a cold Korean mashed potato salad. Perfect for bringing some variety to your diet and to experiment with other interesting flavors.
5 potato (large Russet potatoes, or 10 medium red potatoes)
2 apple (Fiji apples or semi-sweet American apples)
1⁄2 t salt
2 c mayonnaise
1 T sugar
4 scallion (green)
2 carrot (large)
- Hard boil eggs.
- Wash and peel potatoes, rinsing them under cold water. Cut into about 1 inch cubes. Do the same with the carrots. Boil them together in a large pot of salt water until tender, not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Remove around 10 cubes of potatoes and set them aside. Pace the reaming potato cubes into a large bowl.
- Peel and dice 4 of the boiled eggs, add to the bowl. Peel the apple and the nashi pear. Cut into about 1 inch by 1/2 inch pieces and add them to the bowl. Toss well.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the remaining eggs and potato cubes together. Add the mayonnaise.
- Finely chop 2 green onions and 2 sweet pickles, adding them to the mashed potatoes. Add the sugar and pepper, mixing well. Dressing should be stiff.
- Add both bowls together, mixing everything well. If the dressing seems too stiff, add a bit more mayonnaise.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve cold.