Tired of rice stuffed peppers? Try barley.
4 bell pepper (green, medium size)
3⁄4 lb beef (ground)
1 c onion (chopped)
1⁄2 c celery (chopped)
2 clv garlic (minced)
cooking oil (cooking spray)
1 c barley (pear barley, measured dry, cooked)
1 c corn (kernels, cut from the cob or frozen and thawed)
2 t chili powder
1⁄2 t oregano (dried)
1⁄2 t salt
1⁄8 t pepper
1 1⁄2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 cn tomato sauce (8 oz can)
1 c cheese (shredded Cheddar)
- Cut tops off peppers and discard seeds and membranes.
- Cook peppers in boiling water to cover, 4 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Cook beef and next 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, . Drain and pat dry using paper towels.
- Combine beef, cooked barley, and next 7 ingredients.. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Spoon 1 cup beef mixture into each of the peppers. Place stuffed peppers in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes. Top peppers evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts