A high protein snack or appetizer that can be made at home.
- Mix soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder and ground pepper to make the marinade.
- Place the meat strips in a shallow dish or heavy plastic bag.
- Add the marinade mix to cover meat. Toss to coat each piece.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Lift meat from marinade, drain well and then air dry for a couple of hours.
- Arrange meat strips in single layer on fine wire screen or cake cooling rack.
- Place in low oven 175º F for 3 to 4 hours, until the meat is completely dried and it has a leathery texture.
Soy sauce is salty and the marinated jerky should not need more salt. Store the beef jerky in an air tight container. It will last 3-4 weeks. It would last much longer if its vacuum packed.
Preparing the meat
Select a 1/2 inch thick flank or top round steak. Trim away all fat then partially freeze until firm. Slice across the grain in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips.
Alternatively, ask the butcher to cut the meat into strips.
Beef jerky can have different flavors depending on the ingredients added to the marinade. For instance, honey could be added to give it a sweeter taste, or cracked pink pepper, or any favorite spice mix.