Dare to make your own black licorice chews! This recipe explains step by step how to.
1 c butter (2 sticks)
2 c sugar (granulated sugar)
1 c corn syrup
1 cn milk (condensed milk, sweetened, 14 oz can)
1 pn salt
1 t anise (anise extract)
1⁄2 t food dye (black, paste)
- Line a 9-inch square pan, with aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a large saucepan, melt butter over a medium heat. Add the condensed milk, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stir often. Be sure to use a candy thermometer, boil until it reaches 245°F, a firm-ball stage. Stir frequently so that it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan.
- Once it has reached the proper temperature, immediately remove from heat and stir in the anise extract and food coloring, until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the candy out into the prepared pan. Allow to sit at room temperature overnight, or refrigerator for faster setting.
- Cut into squares using kitchen shears. Wrap individual candies in waxed paper or cling-wrap to store.