Borscht has many variations and each family prepare the dish differently. Some may add cabbage some may add potatoes.
3 beet (peeled and grated)
2 carrot (peeled and grated)
4 potato (small, cut in two or three pieces)
1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
6 c broth (beef broth, warm)
2 tomato (peeled and mashed)
1⁄2 hd cabbage (washed and shredded)
seasoning (salt and ground black pepper to taste)
sour cream (or yogurt)
2 T olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Bring the broth to a boil, add cabbage and potatoes and simmer until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add onion. Cook until slightly soft.
- Add carrot and cook until it begins to lose its color.
- Season with ground pepper.
- Add beet and tomato, cover and cook slowly for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beet and carrot mixture to the broth together with the lemon juice. Simmer 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Distribute the soup among individual bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
Borsch is eaten warm in winter and cold in summer.