This is a recipe that came to Indiana with English settlers, similar to their bread and butter pudding.
- Heat the oven to 350º F and grease a baking dish with the shortening.
- Put the bread and raisins into the dish and mix.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract, if using.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread and raisins.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until set, about 35-45 minutes.
- Serve warm.
If you don't have it, substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with 1 tablespoon vanilla ice cream.