What can you do with leftover soda bread? Bake an Irish bread pudding! Bread pudding is always a favorite with children. Irish bread pudding may remind you of the British bread and butter pudding minus the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F (180° C).
- Break the bread up into bite size portions. Place them into a 9 x 9 x 2 inches pan.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together. Add the zest and cold milk and pour over the bread.
- Dot with butter then bake in a 375°F oven until the mix is custard set, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice, cherries and strawberries, if used.
Lemon juice, cherries, strawberries, raisins, nutmeg and brown sugar to sweeten are optional.
Ireland is not the only European country to boast of a recipe for bread pudding, but it might be the one to serve it with caramel and whiskey, or a butterscotch sauce. For children, try to serve Irish bread pudding with with your favorite fruit preserve, chocolate sauce or ice cream.