A sample of simple Cajun cooking. The Cajun notes come from the seasoning and the way flavors are combined.
1 lb fish (catfish fillets, 4 oz each)
wheat (wheat flakes)
1 T paprika
1⁄4 t salt
1⁄4 t onion (onion powder)
1⁄4 t garlic (garlic powder)
1⁄2 t pepper (or to taste, white pepper)
1⁄2 t cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1⁄2 t thyme (or to taste, dried thyme or thyme powder)
1 T cooking oil
- Wash the fish fillets and pat dry.
- In a bowl mix the ground wheat flakes and all the seasonings.
- Pour the dry mixture onto a piece of foil or wax paper, and dip the fillets into the seasoning, coating both sides.
- In a heavy cast iron fry pan heat the oil. Fry the fillets for 2 minutes on each side.
- Lay the fillets on a plate lined with a paper towel, cover with another paper towel, and pat to remove excess oil.
Serve with home potatoes on the side.