A recipe that can be easily prepared on a camping site. This hash can be either a evening or breakfast meal.
- Brown the meat in the pan. Break up the meat as it cooks assuring that all the pink (raw) meat is cooked.
- Add the water and soup mix stirring to mix well. Heat to boiling and simmer a few minutes.
- Add the dry potatoes and stir until mixed.
- Cover the pot and move to the edge of the fire for about 10 minutes to allow the potatoes to swell up with the water.
- Move the pot back on the heat and stir while cooking the potatoes. Cook about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
You will need a large pot with a lid and one large spoon.
Other seasonings may be added with the potatoes to the cooks taste - Hot peppers, chili powder, basil, italian seasonings are good.
The meat may be hamburger, sausage, italian sausage, etc. Different meats do provide a different flavor.
Note that a package of hash brown dried potatoes provides for several recipes of camp hash - likely three.