A classic French cherry dessert from the Limousin region. It is batter based and baked when the summer cherry harvest is in.
- Heat oven to 350º F and grease a shallow ovenproof pan.
- Mix cherries and half the sugar. Place in the greased pan.
- Combine flours, salt and remaining sugar in a bowl.
- Beat in eggs and milk.
- Pour the mixture over the cherries.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the clafoutis has risen lightly and the surface is golden brown.
- Dust with confectioner´s sugar and serve warm.
Sprinkle cherries with a bit of kirsch to add zing.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.