A great sauce for roast duck, goose or venison with the flavor of Port wine and five spice powder. East meets West.
- Heat fat in a pan with the roasting juices.
- Add corn starch and mix. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth, wine and five spice powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cherries and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Transfer to a sauce boat and serve warm.
If you are no roasting duck or goose, use butter instead of the fat from the bird.
If possible, make a broth with the same meat you are roasting. Use chicken broth otherwise. You can dissolve a stock cube in boiling water to make the broth.
Add 1 tablespoon blackcurrant jelly if using sour cherries.