This broth uses only chicken breast meat as ingredient and the meat doubles as garnish. A recipe more suited to make for less people than using a whole fowl.
- Add all the ingredients to the saucepan. Pour in cold cold water to cover them. Simmer very gently on a low heat for two hours.
- When the broth is ready, adjust the seasoning. Leave until completely cold. Store in the fridge, covered, until required.
- One hour before dinner, get the saucepan out of the fridge. Remove fat and discard. Bring broth just up to boil. Hard boil an egg, peel and keep in cold water.
- Lift chicken out of the saucepan. Discard skin and bones. Cut chicken meat into bite size pieces. Chop the hard boiled egg and mix with the chicken. Keep both in a bowl, covered with plastic film.
- Strain chicken broth and keep warm. Prepare croutons.
- To serve, add chicken pieces, and chopped egg to the soup bowl. Pour the broth, very hot, over. Serve the croutons on the side.
Add more water if needed. Teh goal is to have more than 2 cups of liquid at the end.
Pour enough broth for two in the soup bowl. Retain the rest, leave it until cold, and freeze for another occasion.
If you don't add croutons, this recipe is gluten free.