Chicken cordon bleu is a recipe to look good with little effort. Not really expensive, as chicken breast produces a good quantity of meat and the fillets are flattened until very thin.
- Cover one half of each flattened chicken breast with half a slice ham and place one slice of cheese on top of ham. Fold over the chicken breast and press tightly to seal the sides.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper, dredge into the flour and shake off excess, dip into the beaten egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Chill in the fridge for 20-30 minutes if possible.
- Heat oil in a large pan over a high heat. Cook chicken for 4-6 minutes, turning once, or until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and stand on kitchen paper to eliminate any oil absorbed into the coating, garnish and serve.
What side dishes are good with chicken cordon bleu? Serve with just French fries and salad. Garnish simply, top each with a slice of lemon and a small ball of herb butter.