This recipe is a sample of pot roasted chicken. Serve with gravy and steamed vegetables or with a soy based sauce and stir-fried vegetables.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat butter in an oven proof casserole dish. Brown one of the chicken on all sides, about 5-10 minutes. Remove and repeat with second chicken.
- Put birds back into the casserole and add lemon zest. Cover.
- Cook on the center rack for 30-40 minutes, turning once.
- Transfer chickens to a board and keep warm until serving time.
- To serve, discard strings and halve.
Used a pronged fork to lift the birds out of the casserole. Use kitchen shears to cut the chickens in half.