An easy recipe for braised chicken. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes.
- Season chicken with pepper and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan over moderate heat. Brown chicken pieces.
- Push chicken to one side and add onion to the pan, cook until soft but not browned.
- Remove pant from heat. Add paprika and mix lightly. Return to the heat and cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring continuously.
- Add 1/2 cup stock, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces from the pan and keep warm.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, to reduce juices to a shiny glaze.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock and tomato puree. Bring back to the boil.
- Return chicken pieces to the pan and incorporate the roasted red pepper. Heat until warmed, about 2 minutes.
- Add sour cream, reserving a little for decoration. Shake the pan to mix rather than stirring. Do not let it boil.
- Distribute chicken pieces and sauce on plates ant top with the reserved sour cream.
Brown chicken legs first, for about 5 minutes, then add breast pieces and continue cooking until all pieces are browned.
Paprika easily gets scorched.That's why we add it far from the heat and cook fast.
The sour cream will curdle in the sauce if allowed to boil. Turn the heat off quickly once added.