A luscious combination of chocolate and slivered toasted almonds for a perfectly decadent dessert.
- Pour the cold water into a small mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and let stand for at least 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk into a heavy saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When the milk reaches 170 °F whisk in the sugar and salt.
- Stirring continuously, cook the mixture until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Place the eggs into a small mixing bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the hot milk into the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan with the hot milk, whisking as you pour.
- Place the heat on low and stirring constantly cook the custard about 5 minutes or until it coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the gelatin mixture until completely dissolved.
- Blend in the melted chocolate.
- Quickly cool the custard in an ice water bath for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the whipping cream and vanilla until well blended.
- Press plastic wrap onto the custard surface and chill the custard overnight.
- Fill the ice cream maker cylinder 2/3 full of mixture and freeze according to manufacture's directions.
- Stir in the toasted almonds and allow the ice cream to ripen at least 2 hours.
When adding nuts to homemade ice cream be sure to always follow the directions on the recipe. If nuts or fruit are added to soon they become hard and loose their flavor.
Preparation and cooking time exclude chilling and freezing.