- Simply add the salsa and cilantro.
- Then the lime and taco seasoning and mix well.
- Add the chicken and enough water to partially cover the breasts. Stir to coat.
- Add the slow cooker lid and set it for low. Again, the chicken will need to cook for about 6-8 hours.
- Once it is done, remove from the juices and shred the meat then return it to the juice.
You have several options for cooking the chicken. You can set your slow cooker on low and allow it to cook overnight (6 – 8 hours) or on high and cook for about 4-5 hours. You can slow boil it on the stovetop over medium-low heat or place it in the oven at 375 degrees for approximately 2 hours. The goal is to ensure the meat is done and can be asily shredded. We’ve chosen the slow cooker overnight method as we like our chicken to have plenty of time to absorb the flavors.
This dish has been exported across the border to the Tex-Mex cuisine.