Make this recipe a vegetarian option by substituting bacon strips with 1 Tbs vegetable coking oil.
- Boil the 4 cups of water with the coconut for 2 minutes, set aside to cool. When it has cooled enough to handle, squeeze dry, reserving the liquid, and combining it with the milk.
- Chop the bacon and sauté it with the green pepper, onion and the hot pepper in the same pan that you will be using to cook the rice.
- Toss in the tomato and kidney beans (with its liquid) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the hot pepper from the mix.
- Pour in the coconut milk, sugar and salt. Cover pot and bring to just a boil
- Rinse and drain the uncooked rice before mix comes to a boil. Add the rice to the boiling milk mixture. Cooked uncovered for 1-2 minutes, cover and reduce flame to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
Good international option for special diets. All the ingredients are gluten free and apt for those with celiac disease.
Enjoy it as it is or make it vegetarian by cooking with vegetable oil and skipping the bacon. This option makes the dish even lighter and healthier.
Rice and beans are healthy and together make good quality protein, so you can be vegetarian and cook international.