This is the simplest way to prepare game birds if you have a hunter in the family. If not you can buy Rock Cornish Game Hens at your local farm market or grocery.
- Wash and dry the birds carefully, and remove the wings. Sprinkle both the inside and out with the salt and pepper. Place one half of the onion into each bird and skewer the birds shut.
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet, browning the birds well on all sides. Remove and place into a dutch oven with a lid.
- Place the mushrooms into the skillet, browning them in the birds own juices. Pour the mushrooms over top the birds.
- Bring the broth to a boil in same skillet, pour over birds and add water to the dutch oven.
- Place on lid and bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Take the birds out of the dutch oven. Boil the drippings until it has reduced down to 1/3 cup. Glaze the hens with this.
- Take the drippings from the glaze and add the curry if using, and the whipping cream. Stir and bring to a boil until reduced and thick.
- Cut the hens in half and serve with the sauce.
Substitute butter with vegetable oil for a dairy free recipe.