A hearty filling of cooked vegetables, cheese or meat wrapped in shortcrust pastry.
Prepare the filling
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion until it begins to soften.
- Add carrots, rutabaga and potatoes cook a couple of minutes.
- Add a little water, cover and cook until vegetables are nearly done, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
Prepare the pasties
- Heat oven to 350-375` F.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry. Cut six 7-inch circles using a saucer or small plate as a guide.
- Divide the filling among the circles, placing it in the middle of each one. Brush the edge with beaten egg.
- Bring the edges to meet, seal and crimp with the fingers.
- Brush each pastry with egg and arrange on a baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the Cornish pasties from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
The traditional filling for Cornish pasties is steak, potatoes, parsnips and turnips, but the pasties can have many other fillings. Add cheese or cooked steak for a more rounded meal. Add other vegetables, mushrooms or peas, for example.