Crème brûlée is a lovely custard with caramelized sugar. The name means burnt cream.
2⁄3 c sugar
1⁄2 c milk
1 1⁄4 c cream (light or heavy cream, your choice)
4 vanilla (vanilla pods)
3 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C)
- Beat egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar. Add the vanilla seeds.
- Take the cream to boiling point and pour over the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Distribute the custard among 4 individual heat resistant pots. Place the pots inside an oven pan and fill the pan with water up to half the height of the pots.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, just until the custard is set. Allow to cool to room temperature and then chill in the fridge.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the rest of the sugar on top of the pots. Place under the broiler for a few minutes, until the sugar turns to caramel.
Garnish the crème brûlée with sliced strawberries or other fruit.