Mexican tostadas are fried corn tortillas topped with refried beans, meat and vegetables. This crips tortilas are easy and fun to make and very enjoyable to eat.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet and cook beef, onion and garlic until the meat is brown.
- Drain excess fat and add canned tomatoes, chopped chili, oregano, cumin and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry corn tortillas, one or two at a time, until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and stack.
- Spread each tortilla with warm refried beans. Put 2 heaped tablespoons of meat on top of the beans.
- Top with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and grated cheese.
- Finish off with some salsa.
You can substitute chopped garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder. If there is no time to make them at home, substitute 2 cups refried beans with one 15 oz can.
Heat the refried beans while the meat is simmering.