A deliciously crunchy dish that will surprise dinners.
- Grease a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Cook cauliflower in boling water with salt until tender, aboout 15 minutes.
- Drain the cooked cauliflower and put into the prepared dish.
- Heat butter in a saucepan and gently fry the bacon for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes to make a roux and then add milk, a little at a time, stirring continuously.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in half the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the cauliflower.
- Combine the remaining grated cheese with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the sauce.
- Broil until golden brown.
- Server hot.
Substitute 1 cauliflower for 12 oz frozen florets.
Baking the dish at 375-400º F foor until gloden brown, about 30 minutes, is an alternative to broiling.