Top a croque monsieur with a fried egg and a some béchamel sauce to make a croque madame.
2 sli ham (cooked ham, thick slices)
4 sli bread (white bread, crust removed)
2 oz cheese (Gruyere cheese, 2 slices or 1/2 cup grated)
3 T butter
2 t flour (all purpose)
1 c milk (warmed)
1 pn pepper
1 pn salt
- Take a slice of bread and butter lightly one side. Place ham slice on the buttered side and cheese slice on top of ham. Finish with a second buttered bread slice, butter side down, to make a sandwich. Press firmly to help hold the sandwich together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and stir in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add warm whisk thick and creamy. Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add 2 tablespoons grated cheese and season with pepper. Keep warm, but do not boil.
- Fry sandwiches in butter until golden and crisp on both sides. Leave them rest on kitchen paper to soak excess fat.
- Fry eggs in a second pan.
- Place a fried egg on top of each cooked sandwich. Pour cheese sauce over each of them and serve hot.
Use a full fat cheese of your choice.