Deviled chicken is a whole bird, flattened, marinated in lemon juice, chili, pepper and oil and grilled slowly for tender but spicy results.
1 chicken (split and flattened, 3 lb chicken)
2 chili pepper (red chili, cored, seeds removed and chopped)
1⁄2 c lemon juice (freshly sqeezed)
3 T olive oil
2 t salt
2 t pepper (freshly ground)
- Mix lemon juice, chopped chili, 1 tablespoon oil, and black pepper.
- Place the chicken in a large dish and pour the marinade over. Cover and leave in the fridge for 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Pre-heat the grill and spray or brush olive oil on the rack.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and insert 2 skewers to hold it flat when cooking. Place on the rack, skin side up, and season with salt.
- Place the rack 4 inches from hat. Grill 15-20 minutes, turn and grill 15-20 minutes more until skin is deep brown and juices run clear.