If you have a guest on a diabetic diet, you can still prepare something suitable.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and sugar substitute at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg white and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Stir together flour, soda and salt to blend well. Add 1/4 cup water to creamed mixture along with the flour mixture and mix at medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add chocolate chips to dough and mix lightly. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets that have been lined with aluminum foil or sprayed with suitable oil spray. Press down lightly with fingers dipped in cold water to form a circle about 2 inches across.
- Bake at 375º F for about 12 minutes or until browned. The cookies won't be crisp unless they are browned.
- Remove cookies for hot cookie sheets to wire racks to cool to room temperate.
Allow 2 cookies per serving.
Use this dough to make chocolate chip bars: Instead of dropping dough onto cookie sheets, spread dough evenly in a jelly roll pan that has been sprayed or greased with margarine. Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and the bars pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool to room temperature and cut to yield 36 bars. Use 2 bars per serving.