An apple pie with a difference as the crust is enriched with egg and so it is the filling.
1 c flour (all purpose)
1 pn salt
4 T butter ( for the crust, about 1/2 stick)
1 t sugar (for the crust)
1 egg (beaten)
2 T butter (for the sauce)
2 T corn starch
1 c milk
2 T sugar (for the sauce)
1 egg yolk
1⁄2 t vanilla extract
1⁄2 lb apple (cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced)
2 T brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
Prepare the sauce
- Melt butter in a pan on low heat and stir in cornstarch.
- Add milk to the pan. Heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens and boils. Set apart and let it cool down.
Prepare the crust
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter and stir 1 teaspon sugar.
- Mix in sufficient beaten egg to make a soft, not sticky dough.
- Roll out and line a flan round pan, 8 inches, with the dough.
- Bake blind for 15-20 minutes. Reserve.
Finish the pie
- Stir egg yolk, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla extract into the sauce. Pour this rich sauce into the part-baked pie crust.
- Arrange the apple slices onver the sauce.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apple.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350º F.