- Preheat oven to 430° F (220° C) and take advantage from the warming oven to heat a cast iron skillet.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl. Add flour first then milk, whisking vigorously to make a smooth batter.
- Heat butter in the pan for about 2 minutes or until sizzling.
- Remove pan from oven, pour in the batter and return to oven.
- Cook for about 12 minutes.
- To serve, remove from pan, sprinkle powdered sugar and cut into slices.
For a gluten free version, use gluten free flour. It works just as well.
You can make savory Dutch babies just as easy. Simply add cheese and diced cooked bacon or ham, and omit powdered sugar.
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, use an oven proof casserole pan.
How did Dutch babies get that name being German? From the German word for German, Deutsch. Deutsch sounds similar to Dutch.