This is one of the dishes that have made Italian cuisine well know over the world. Try a few dishes from Southern Italy and you may never want to go home again.
- Slice the mozzarella into thin slices, then strips. Set aside.
- Peel the eggplant and slice thin. Press to remove excess juice, then dry for 2 hours. Fry the eggplant, using olive oil rather than safflower or vegetable oil.
- While the eggplant is cooking, dice and drain the tomatoes. Then cook in a fresh pan for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Be liberal with basil as the tomato turns to paste with stirring.
- Now place the tomato sauce into a baking dish. Beat an egg and mix into the tomato sauce. Next, arrange the eggplant over the sauce and cover with cheese. Layer on a few basil leaves and a bit more mozzarella. Continue layering until you're out of ingredients.
- Bake at 275°F/135°C for about an hour.
Parmigiano reggiano is the Italian name for Parmesan cheese.