This sweet bread recipe will have everyone begging to go for those servings recommended by the food pyramid. Superb.
- Warm the milk and dissolve the yeast in it. Then blend sugar, salt and flour and add to the milk. Blend with a mixer about two minutes until smooth.
- Add in the eggs, then pour in the olive oil and blend well.
- Knead the dough until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Cover with a damp towel and let the dough rise for about an hour.
- Knead again, then roll the dough out on a bread board with a rolling pin.
- Brush with butter and roll up the dough, then leave it for another hour.
- Coil the roll and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 45 minutes.
Ensaimadas originated in the Baleares, the Spanish Mediterranean islands.
You may fill them with whipped cream or angel hair - sweet, almost transparent threads made from pumpkin.