These potatoes are perfect served warm as a side dish on a chilly day, and lovely served cold for a brunch or picnic on a warm one.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add the garlic and a little salt. Bring to the boil, and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pot. Find the garlic and chop it or mush it to a paste.
To serve warm
- Return the garlic to the pot. Add the butter and fold through until it melts - heat the pot on low heat to help the butter melt, if needed.
- Add lemon juice and zest, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, finely chopped.
To serve cold
- Place the garlic in a bowl. Add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and ground black pepper. Whisk to make a dressing.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat. Allow the potatoes to cool while soaking the flavors.
- Before serving, garnish with fresh parsley, finely chopped.
Serve warm potatoes with roasted lamb or chicken. Serve the cold potato salad with lettuce or mixed leaf salad. Chill the potatotes until needed.
The butter version is also nice when cold.