Something to please nearly every child.
4 egg (medium to large)
2 c milk
2 T butter
2 T flour (al purpose flour)
1 c cheese (grated cheese)
2 T bread crumbs (optional, 1 slice, crumbled)
seasoning (salt and ground pepper)
Hard boil the eggs
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the saucepan and drop them in a bowl with cold water.
- Leave them to cool.
Make the cheese sauce
- Place milk, butter and flour in a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat whisking continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add up to 2/3 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
Finish the dish
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Shell and slice the eggs and arrange them on the bottom of a heat proof serving dish.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- MIx the rest of the grated cheese with the bread crumbs, if using.
- Cover the sliced eggs with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese and bread crumbs over the sauce.
- Place the eggs under the grill until the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from under the grill and serve immediately.
1 hour, 5 minutes