Fesenjan is an Iranian dish traditionally made with duck or chicken. Serve fesenjan with rice.
1 duck (quartered)
1 onion (sliced)
10 oz walnut (ground)
2 1⁄2 c water
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
4 T pomegranate (pomegranate juice)
2 T lemon juice
2 T sugar
- Remove all the excess fat from the duck and brown the quarters lightly in a large casserole.
- Lift out the duck and fry the onions until browned, then add the walnuts and water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the duck to the pan, and bring the sauce to the boil. Simmer for about an hour until the duck is almost tender.
- Stir the pomegranate syrup and sugar into the lemon juice. Skim as much fat as possible from the casserole and then stir in the juice mixture.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes until the sauce is quite dark.
If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
2 hours, 15 minutes