Use ripe tomatoes with a beautiful tomato red color. Ripe tomatoes add sweetness to this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut top of tomatoes. Scoop out pulp and seeds. Discard the seeds and chop the tomato pulp.
- Mix chopped tomato pulp, scallions, parsley, feta cheese, bread crumbs, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Spoon the filling into the hollow tomato shells.
- Stand stuffed tomatoes side up in a baking pan and bake in the middle rack for 15 minutes.
- Serve stuffed tomatoes straight from the oven, steaming hot, to enjoy the delicious gooey texture of melted cheese.
Place not quite ripe tomatoes in a brown paper bag and keep in a cupboard or other dark place for a day or two to ripen so that they get an appetizing bright red color.