Give an Italian air to that leftover roast or your favorite ham as in this fiesta frittata.
2 T butter (unsalted)
1 onion (large yellow onion, coarsely chopped)
1 bell pepper (large sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped)
1 t basil (dried, crumbled)
1 t oregano (dried, crumbled)
10 oz spinach (frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry)
2 c ham (cooked ham, finely chopped)
1⁄2 c cheese (Parmesan)
4 egg (large)
3 egg white (from large eggs)
1⁄3 c milk
1⁄2 t salt
1 pn cayenne pepper
2 c rice (leftover cooked long grain rice, either brown or white)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. in a large non stick skillet ( you might want to go ahead and spray a cooking spray over it) melt the butter over a medium low heat. Add The onion and sweet pepper, sauteing for 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix the basil and oregano and cook 1 minute. Stir in the spinach and pork, cooking uncovered for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk 1/3 cup of cheese with the eggs and egg whites, milk, salt and cayenne pepper until frothy.
- Along with the rice, mix the egg froth into the skillet. heat over a medium low for 5 minutes, do not stir. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and place the skillet into the oven. bake uncovered until a golden brown and set in the center, 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.